|Master of Primary Science (2 years -Full Time)|
The programme enables primary science teachers to enhance their theoretical and real-world experience in science education including innovative primary science teaching pedagogies, curriculum development, assessment, inquiry, STEM Education, and basic research skills. The programme will prepare primary science teachers with the knowledge, skills and values needed to transform primary science education in line with the evolving needs of learners in the social and cultural context of Bhutan and the world. The programme will provide enriching learning experiences that allow students to develop sound scientific knowledge, enhance fundamental science process skills to promote scientific values and attitudes to cultivate scientific literacy. It is also intended to build strong educational foundations in pedagogical content knowledge, upscale classroom leadership potential for cultivating their ability to foster positive impact and create the conditions for meaningful learning and development. The programme will help students tackle promising and challenging tasks in innovating educational technology and develop powerful technological tools and resources to improve primary science learning outcomes. Through immersion in learning theories and pioneering research in education, the programme will develop their ability to teach children through evidence-based approaches and design strategies and interventions to promote student achievement in science. The programme will enable the students to initiate change in classroom practices and contribute towards enhancing the policies and practices of primary science education in schools.
The programme aims are aligned with the standards and expectations outlined in the Bhutan Professional Standards for Teachers (BPST, 2020). As a result of their advanced and in-depth studies in the teaching of Primary Science, students will be able to analyse and offer critical perspectives on the primary science curriculum.
Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- examine various theories of human development and learning and examine the implications for the teaching and learning of primary science.
- analyze the primary science curriculum for Bhutanese schools in light of major theories of curriculum.
- evaluate best practices in planning, documentation and assessment for learning in primary science.
- demonstrate scientific knowledge, attitudes and skills of inquiry accurately in a variety of science teaching & learning situations.
- employ different research methodologies to conduct educational research on primary science education.
- apply advanced knowledge and skills to create a learning environment that fosters scientific knowledge, skills, values and attitude in science education
- apply relevant contemporary pedagogies in teaching and learning science effectively.
- illustrate the application of science in day to day life through teaching of science concepts and processes.
- use appropriate educational assistive and innovative technology including ICT tools for learning science.
- create a safe and healthful learning environment through school-family/community collaboration for good health and wellbeing of children.
- design awareness, advocacy and sensitization programme to promote environmental education.
- promote primary science as a role model in the community.
- apply knowledge, skills and professional attitudes to develop the standards expected of accomplished and distinguished teachers as specified in the BPST, 2020.
Understanding Science Education
Creating Scientific Learning Environment
|PSY505 Understanding Learners and Learning||RES506 Educational Research Methods|
Understanding Life Processes
Fostering Health Science Education for School
|RES507 Educational Research Project|
Exploring Materials and their properties
Teaching Science using Technology
Teaching of Environmental Science
Understanding Physical Processes
|CUR607 Curriculum Development and Implementation||SCA611
Prospective candidates should fulfill the following criteria.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree with teaching qualification from a university or an institution recognised by the RCSC, and nominated by the Ministry of Education.
- Has a minimum of 5 years of teaching experience and have taught or currently teaching Science at the primary level.
- Has scored a minimum of 50% in competency test administered by the College, which will consist of a written test and an oral interview. The written test will assess the candidate’s analytical ability and language proficiency and it will consist of 2 hours of written test. The oral interview will test the candidate’s aptitude and general proficiency in the subject and it will consist of 25 – 30 minutes.
For Inquiries , you may contact:
Ms. Hari Maya Gurung Mr. Karma Yeshey
Programme Leader Dean of Academic Affairs
B.Ed Primary Email: email@example.com
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone # +975-8-271620
Phone # +975-8-271487
Inquires about tuition fees may be directed to email@example.com at phone number +975-8-271497