STEM Education Centre, PCE
Spurred by the transformational education reform taking place in the country today, Paro College ol Education is positioning itself strategically to play a lead role in this process of re-purposing the education system. The focused and comprehensive reform process states in unequivocal terms the urgency and centrality of STEM education. PCE aspires to the full development of STEM education, research and training in the Rinpung Choeling Campus blessed by the magnificent Rinpung Dzong. The plan is foster creativity, divergent thinking, deep knowledge and understanding of the fundamental disciplines, use of technology, innovation, practical application of knowledge, and problem solving in the context of realworld challenges. It is expected that with deep knowledge, understanding practical application and values of STEM, teacher education graduates will be well qualified and competent to foster an active culture of STEM learning and teaching in Bhutanese schools.
“We must prioritise self-discovery and exploration, and involve learners in
the creation of knowledge rather than making them mere consumers of it.
We must make STEM subjects part of their everyday language”.
(The Royal Kasho on Education Reform, 17 December 2O2O)
STEM Education Centre will
- Work closely with the College management and key stakeholders within the university and beyond to set up a clear vision, action plan and other initiatives for the development and propagation of STEM
- Foster an active and ever-evolving culture of knowledge and application related to STEM education and research in light of the Royal vision for education, local and global perspectives and developments in STEM education, national STEM education policies and emerging discourses, and STEM education courses and current developments in the field in reputed teacher education institutions in the
- Develop a clear roadmap for STEM education and research development for PCE and ensure the full achievement of the goals set for the College.
- Play a lead role in setting up a STEM Education Centre in the College’s Rinpung Choeling campus.
- Organize STEM education and research events and other forums for students and STEM education professionals in the country.
- Based on international and local bestpractices, critically review all STEM related modules in PCE’s Masters and Undergraduate programmes.
- Set up plans and strategies for STEM innovation projects forthe College and the wider STEM education community.
- Work with key stakeholders within the Ministry of Education, the Druk Cyalpo’s lnstitute, schools, industry, and relevant local and international partners to promote STEM education and research in the country.
- Mobilize resources for the development of STEM teaching, research and professional
- Ensure the full integration of STEM into all relevant programmes taught in the College, quality delivery of the modules, and development of graduate competencies relevant to STEM learning in Bhutanese.