|Master of Primary Mathematics (2 years -Full Time)|
The programme is intended to provide a holistic learning experience to primary mathematics teachers. The programme aims to offer a rich training ground and experiences for practicing mathematics teachers to enhance their existing pedagogical knowledge and skills. In the process, produce the next generation of teachers sufficiently prepared to teach primary mathematics with creativity, enthusiasm and passion. Therefore, the programme will prepare students with new approaches and strategies for presenting mathematical concepts in relevant, engaging and meaningful ways.
The programme is focused on the enhancement of domain knowledge, educational foundations and research skills. These are intended to raise teachers’ knowledge and competency levels. Consequently, they can help improve the quality of children’s experience with mathematics. Further, it is designed to ensure that students understand the current theories and practices in the pedagogy of primary mathematics. The research component of the programme will develop their ability to implement evidence-based approaches and strategies to address the needs of students.
The outcome will be the development of students who could be accomplished and distinguished in teaching of mathematics (BPST, 2020). Further, they will be able to offer critical perspectives on the primary mathematics curriculum. At the same time, initiate change in classroom practices, provide academic leadership in school, and help build a professional community of mathematics teachers. Thus, these aims align with the standards and expectations laid out for teachers in the Bhutan Professional Standards of Teachers, which seeks to achieve high levels of professional competency for teachers in Bhutan.
Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- examine different learning theories related to primary mathematics.
- discuss the principles and standards for school mathematics.
- examine international best practices in teaching and learning of mathematics in primary schools.
- analyse different types of beliefs teachers hold about mathematics and their implications for primary children’s learning of mathematics.
- integrate ICT in teaching and learning of primary mathematics efficiently.
- connect mathematics with real-life activities to facilitate meaningful learning in the primary classroom.
- apply varied assessment approaches relevant to teaching and learning of mathematics in the primary classroom.
- use various strategies for diagnosing learners’ misconception in mathematics to provide appropriate remediation.
- apply knowledge and skills of research to conduct empirical studies in mathematics.
- explore means of communication in acquiring mathematical structures and delivering mathematical concepts.
- discuss on equity principle and its presence in and relevance to Bhutanese context.
- review the existing primary mathematics curriculum and recommend innovative ideas.
- realize the importance of underlying beliefs about mathematics and its impact in terms of attitude towards students.
- appreciate the multidisciplinary nature of mathematics and enrich their philosophy of the subject.
Principles and Standards for School Mathematics
Mathematics Teaching and Classroom Practices
Understanding Learners and Learning
|RES506 Educational Research Methods|
Representation as a Learning Strategy in Mathematics
|RES507 Educational Research Project|
Equity Issues in Discourse for Mathematics Education
Teaching Numbers and Operations
in Primary Mathematics
|II||MTA611 Problem Solving in Primary Mathematics||MTA612
Differentiating Instruction in Mathematics
|CUR607 Curriculum Development and Implementation||MTA613
Misconception in Primary Mathematics
Prospective candidates should fulfill the following criteria.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree with teaching qualification from a university or an institution recognised by the RCSC, and nominated by the Ministry of Education.
- Has a minimum of 5 years of teaching experience and have taught or currently teaching Mathematics at the primary level.
- Has scored a minimum of 50% in competency test administered by the College, which will consist of a written test and an oral interview. The written test will assess the candidate’s analytical ability and language proficiency and it will consist of 2 hours of written test. The oral interview will test the candidate’s aptitude and general proficiency in the subject and it will consist of 25 – 30 minutes.
For Inquiries , you may contact:
Mr. Tshewang Tobgay Mr. Karma Yeshey
Programme Leader Dean of Academic Affairs
B.Ed Primary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email: email@example.com Phone # +975-8-271620
Phone # +975-8-271487
Inquires about tuition fees may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org at phone number +975-8-271497