|Master of Primary Social Studies (2 years -Full Time)|
The programme will provide a holistic learning experience in Social Studies focused on the enhancement of domain knowledge, pedagogy, curriculum and assessment practices, as well as interdisciplinary connections to related fields. Accordingly, the programme will provide learning experiences combined with research skills that will equip students with the ability to implement evidence-based approaches and strategies to address the needs of students. As a result of their advanced studies in the teaching of Primary Social Studies, they will be able to offer critical perspectives on the primary Social Studies curriculum, initiate change in classroom practices, provide academic leadership in school, and help build a professional community of teachers committed to enhancing the policy and practice of primary education.
These aims align with the mandate of the Bhutan Professional Standards of Teachers and the Tertiary Education Roadmap of Bhutan which seeks to achieve high levels of professional competencies to create a teaching community of highly knowledgeable, and reflective practitioners based on the unique Bhutanese values of tha dam-tshig ley gju-drey and philosophies of child centeredness, inclusivity and lifelong learning (Ministry of Education, p.7, 2019).
Through this programme, teachers will be able to help their students to develop abilities to make informed and reasoned decisions for benefit and wellbeing as citizens of a spiritually and culturally diverse, democratic society in the fast-developing world. Students can study people in relation to each other and to their world, as an issue-focused and inquiry-based interdisciplinary subject that draws upon history, geography, ecology, economics, sociology, anthropology, philosophy, political science and other social science disciplines. It will also provide students the opportunities for a wide range of ideas/concepts to cope with the surroundings through engagement in scientific, economic, historic and geographical processes. Students will be able to develop skills in learners by involving them in investigation, experimentation, survey, observation, measurement, interpretation and communication culminating a valued social knowledge of today and tomorrow. Besides, it will help them to shape every learner to be socially responsible and productive citizens.
Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- elucidate a deeper understanding of their domain knowledge in social studies;
- explain the significance of social studies in many aspects of life and broaden understanding of the world through the application of social studies concepts in their teaching;
- develop new understanding and intellectual independence appropriate for the application of advanced thinking and communication skills to complex problems in social studies;
- analyse theories of learning and apply these to classroom practice;
- incorporate internationally accepted best pedagogies and practices that are age and grade appropriate instructional practices in primary classrooms;
- adapt curricula to meet student needs, incorporate technology into lesson plans, and evaluate different instructional styles;
- select and implement grade and age appropriate tools and strategies of digital pedagogy, place-based learning and others relevant for learning;
- evaluate best practice in planning and assessment for learning in social studies;
- critique some of the major curriculum theories of primary education and their practical implementation;
- interpret and apply knowledge and skills of different educational research methodologies, critically linking them to issues in teaching social studies;
- design, conduct and complete an independent practical related research project appropriate at postgraduate level under supervision;
- reflect on values and beliefs about the teaching of social studies intended for sustained professional growth;
- demonstrate exemplary personal and professional skills and knowledge to meet the standards of the Accomplished and Distinguished teachers as specified in the Bhutan Professional Standard for Teachers (BPST);
- conduct socio-cultural activities given in the social studies modules;
- use effective digital tools for teaching social studies lessons.
|I||I||SSA503 Place-Based Education in Social Studies||SSA504
Making Sense of History in Social Studies
|PSY505 Understanding Learners and Learning||RES506 Educational Research Methods|
|SSA505 Addressing Social Issues in Social Studies||SSA506
Making Sense of People, Places and Environment
|RES507 Educational Research Project|
|II||I||SSA607 Understanding Social Values and Culture||SSA608 Thinking Skills through Social Studies Disciplines||ASE604 Educational Assessment|
|II||SSA609 Social Change and Development in Social Studies||SSA610 Individuals, Groups and Institutions in Social Studies||CUR607 Curriculum Development and Implementation||SSA611 Living and Economy|
Prospective candidates should fulfill the following criteria.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree with teaching qualification from a university or an institution recognised by the RCSC, and nominated by the Ministry of Education.
- Has a minimum of 5 years of teaching experience and have taught or is currently teaching social studies at the primary level.
- Has scored a minimum of 50% in competency test administered by the College, which will consist of a written test and an oral interview. The written test will assess the candidate’s analytical ability and language proficiency and it will consist of 2 hours of written test. The oral interview will test the candidate’s aptitude and general proficiency in the subject and it will consist of 25 – 30 minutes.
For Inquiries , you may contact:
Ms. Dechen Tshomo Mr. Karma Yeshey
Programme Leader Dean of Academic Affairs
M.Ed Primary English Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email: email@example.com Phone # +975-8-271620
Phone # +975-8-271487
Inquires about tuition fees may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org at phone number +975-8-271497