|Master of Primary English (2 years -Full Time)|
The programme will provide a holistic learning experience in teaching and learning of primary English focused on the enhancement of domain knowledge, inquiry skills, contemporary primary education pedagogies and discourses, curriculum and assessment practices, and interdisciplinary connections to related fields. Students will be equipped with the theoretical foundations, content and pedagogical knowledge, and practical skills required for teaching early literacies/primary English effectively. The programme will enhance their research skills that will equip them with the ability to implement evidence-based approaches and strategies to address the needs of students. As a result of their advanced studies in the teaching of primary English, they will be able to offer critical perspectives on the primary English curriculum, initiate change in classroom practices, provide academic leadership in schools, and help build a professional community of teachers committed to enhancing the policy and practice of primary education. These aims are in line with the professional targets and expectations enshrined in the Bhutan Professional Standards of Teachers which seeks to achieve high levels of professional competencies. Accordingly, the programme supports the vision to create a teaching community of highly knowledgeable and reflective practitioners based on the unique Bhutanese values of tha dam-tshig ley gju-drey and philosophies of child centeredness, inclusivity and lifelong learning (Ministry of Education, p.7, 2019). The programme will produce the much-needed cadre of teachers teaching early literacies/primary English who have deep knowledge and high level of expertise in the theory and practice of primary education. The graduates will be specialists in the teaching of primary English and competent to assume professional leadership in the area of primary English.
Upon completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- examine different theories of teaching and learning of primary English, and reflect critically on the relationship between theory and practice.
- design and implement strategies for effective learning and teaching of English in the primary classroom with innovative insights into primary curriculum.
- apply research and inquiry methods relevant to the learning and teaching of primary English and conduct empirical studies in this field.
- critique the primary English curriculum for Bhutanese schools in relation to major theories of curriculum development and implementation.
- lead professional development programmes for teachers teaching primary English and others in the professional community.
- apply advanced knowledge and skills in literacy, literature, and language development in primary English education.
- evaluate and apply the best practices of teaching and learning English in primary education.
- apply educational assessment methods and techniques in the teaching of primary English.
- design and use a range of teaching learning resources, including the use of ICT in teaching.
- initiate change in the language classrooms based on the principles of child centeredness.
- value English language skills as tools in academics and professional life.
|I||I||ENA505 Teaching Grammar in Context||ENA506 Second Language Acquisition Theories and Pedagogy||PSY505 Understanding Learners and Learning||RES506 Educational Research Methods|
|II||EDT504 Digital Pedagogy||ENA507 Applied Phonology in Primary English Education||ENA508 Approaches to Children’s Literature||RES507 Educational Research Project|
|II||I||ENA609 Drama-Based Pedagogy||ENA610 Literacy Development in Primary Years||ASE604 Educational Assessment|
|II||ENA611 Material Design for Language Learning||ENA612 Creating Positive Environment for Language Learning||CUR607
Curriculum Development and Implementation
|ENA613 Songs and Rhymes in Language Classrooms|
Prospective candidates should fulfill the following criteria.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree with teaching qualification from a university or an institution recognised by the RCSC, and nominated by the Ministry of Education.
- Has a minimum of 5 years of teaching experience and have taught or is currently teaching English at the primary level (PP – Class VI).
- Has scored a minimum of 50% in competency test administered by the College, which will consist of a written test and an oral interview. The written test will assess the candidate’s analytical ability and language proficiency and it will consist of 2 hours of written test. The oral interview will test the candidate’s aptitude and general proficiency in the subject and will consist of 25–30 minutes.
For Inquiries , you may contact:
Dr. Dorji Wangchuk Mr. Karma Yeshey
Programme Leader Dean of Academic Affairs
M.Ed Primary English Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email: email@example.com Phone # +975-8-27620
Phone # +975-8-271487
Inquires about tuition fees may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org at phone number +975-8-271497